Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work", according to Wikipedia.
As a role playing oriented wiki, originality and respect is very appreciated.
Forms of plagiarism include:
- Blatantly copying and pasting from another source that is not your own. Such as Wikipedia.
- Copy and pasting sections of text and changing only a few words (replacing words and names).
- Making use of images already posted by another wiki user without permission.
- Copy and pasted text will be crossed out. Example below, with copy and pasted text in bold.
|My country has a page on the Simcountry Wiki. A country is a region identified as a distinct entity in political geography.|
| My country has a page on the Simcountry Wiki. |
- Any image in question will be deleted from the infringing user's page after a notice is posted alerting the editor of the removal.
- Warnings will be issued to the user.
- After a fair amount of warning, the user may face further consequences such as 1 day bans.
Wikia provides an extension (code) to help editors cite their articles.
This would look like:
Articles usually have their references section titled "References" or "Notes". This section should be your articles last section, and be above any templates you may have on as a footer.